Karnataka Transport Department is responsible for regulation of Motor Vehicles Act in the State, the collection of tax on Motor Vehicles, Road Safety, Control of Air and Noise pollution as per the various provisions of the following acts and rules:
Functions of Karnataka RTO
- Administration of the Motor Vehicles Act,1988 and Rules framed thereunder.
- Issuance and renewal of driving licenses/International Driving Permits
- Registration of Vehicles and their related activities.
- Issuance of trade certificates to dealers of the vehicles.
- Issue of permits to various categories of transport vehicles and the issue of countersignatures in respect of other-state transport vehicles.
- Road safety issues with special emphasis on safety of school buses.
- Enforcement of emission and safety-related norms of vehicles.
- Management and operations of Interstate Bus Terminals.
- Integration of Road transport with Metro, Railways & Airports.
Types of Vehicle Registration in Karnataka
There are two types of vehicle registration in Karnataka RTO Office:
- Temporary Vehicle Registration: It is allowed in cases where the owner of the vehicle in Karnataka to take it to any other state. Temporary Vehicle Registration is not renewable and is valid only for 1 month
- Permanent Vehicle Registration: Under Section 39 of the Motor Vehicle Act, permanent registration of all vehicles is necessary for driving on roads in Karnataka. Driving without a Registration Certificate (RC) is a punishable offense.
Also Read : RTO Registration Charges In Karnataka
Documents Required for Registering Vehicle in Karnataka
The documents required to register your vehicle in Karnataka are as below :-
- Duly-filled application (Form 20)
- Sales certificate (Form 21)
- Valid insurance certificate
- Proof of address
- Temporary registration (issued by the registering authority) or trade certificate (issued by the dealer)
- Roadworthiness certificate (Form 22)
- Custom clearance certificate with a bond (for imported vehicles)
- Certificate of tax clearance (Form 60) or a declaration
- Payable tax (based on the category of the vehicle)
- Applicable fees (specified in Rule 81)
|Location||RTO Codes||Location||RTO Codes|