West Bengal is an integral part of eastern India. It is the fourth most populous state in India and comprises of heritages of East India Company trading post and was the capital of British raj. West Bengal includes the Himalayan hill region, Rarh region, Sunderbans, Bay of Bengal coastal region, and Darjeeling. Kolkata is the capital of West Bengal and is the seventh most populous city in India.
With so much population and beautiful cultures and sites in the state, people are settling comfortably in West Bengal for a long time. Transportation is the key aspect of a state such as this, for smooth functioning of the state and convenience to the people. It is essential to own a vehicle in a populous state with infrastructure facilities provided phenomenally well. Vehicles used can also be used for this purpose. Let us know more about how a vehicle’s ownership can be transferred in West Bengal and what all documents are required for the same.
How to transfer ownership of the vehicle in West Bengal?
The set of legal procedures is mandatory to buy or sell a vehicle in case it is used or owned by someone else and later transferred in the name of the other person. When the new owner buys the vehicle from a different place from where he resides, NOC from the original RTO needs to be obtained. This is to be submitted with the other required documents for transfer ownership. There is a fine of Rs.500 if the transfer is not completed within 30 days of purchase.
List of RTOs in Kolkata
|RTO Name||RTO Number||Type of Vehicle|
What are the documents required for transfer ownership of the vehicle in West Bengal?
- Original Registration Certificate
- Tax Certificate
- NOC from the original RTO
- NOC from the bank (In case the vehicle was bought on loan)
- Form 20
- Form 27
- Form 29
- Form 30
- Form 33
- Form 60 or 61 (In the case of cars)
- PAN Card
- Attested copy of address proof
- Attested copy of owner’s valid driving license
- Valid vehicle Insurance
- Attested copy of Pollution Under Control (PUC) Certificate
- Passport size photograph (Applicant’s photograph)
- Fee payment
- Payment of Road tax
What is the process of offline transfer ownership of vehicles in West Bengal?
The process of transferring ownership of vehicles in West Bengal offline is divided into some steps.
Step 1: Obtaining a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the department of traffic
Step 2: Submitting all the above-mentioned documents to the RTO office in your area
Step 3: Payment of fees
Step 4: Re-registration in case of an interstate transfer of vehicle
Step 5: Payment of Road Tax
What are documents required for the refund of road tax if already paid in the original state?
- Updated and duly signed Form 16
- Old registration certificate copy
- New registration certificate copy
- Insurance policy with the new registration number
- Address proof
- Identification proof
How to transfer ownership of the vehicle in West Bengal online?
Transfer ownership of the vehicle in West Bengal can be done online by following the below steps.
- Obtain NOC from the seller of the vehicle
- Visit the website https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/
- Select the menu from the online services tab and then click Vehicle-related Services
- Now select West Bengal as a state
- Then select RTO of vehicle registration and click proceed
- Select online services that you wish to apply for including Transfer of Ownership such as change of address, Hypothecation, etc
- Now enter the vehicle details like Vehicle Registration Number and Chassis Number and click the button Verify Details.
- Fill all the required details of the new owner
- Enter the option of payment to pay the fees
- Confirm all the details and proceed
- Pay the fees
- A reference receipt is generated for further processing.
- Pay the pending tax on the vehicle if any.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, for the transfer ownership of the vehicle in West Bengal the owner is not required to be physically present.
Yes, the signatures of both the seller and buyer are required for transfer ownership of the vehicle on Form 29 and Form 30.
Yes, transfer ownership of vehicles can be done online and offline both in West Bengal.
Yes, No Objection Certificate is mandatory from the seller of the vehicle when applying for the ownership transfer of the vehicle.
|RTO LOCATIONS||RTO CODE||RTO LOCATIONS||RTO CODE|
|Kolkata Salt Lake||WB-08||Purulia||WB55|
|Alipore, South 24 Parganas||WB22||Malda||WB66|
|Asansol||WB44A||Jangipur, (Murshidabad District)||WB93|
The process to Transfer Ownership of a Vehicle in India