There is numerous feature to take into consideration while purchasing a vehicle- the primary one being whether you should go for a new one or a used one.
If the basic aim is to maintain and manage your finances wisely, buying a pre-owned vehicle would be a more suitable option. Since, as fancy as it seems, new vehicles come with a quick rate of depreciation, higher prices, and bigger insurance.
Certainly, if you are buying/selling a used vehicle from/to someone you would like to have the ownership of the vehicle transferred to the respective person as well.
Henceforth, this will be your guide to understanding the process to transfer ownership of the vehicle, if you are in Gujarat.
- The owner of the vehicle can apply for a transfer of ownership the vehicle.
- In case of death of the owner- The legal heir is eligible to transfer the ownership of the vehicle.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR THE PROCESS
- Transfer of ownership in case of death of the registered owner:
- Form 31
- Legal heir certificate
- Affidavit from another legal heir in acceptance of transferring the vehicle.
- For Transfer of ownership- In case of sales of vehicle:
- Primary Document:
- No Objection Certificate (NOC) granted by the registering authority; or
- The receipt obtained from the registering authority; or
- The postal acknowledgment was received from the registering office where the application for No Objection Certificate has been sent by post.
- Application for issue of No Objection Certificate shall be made in form 28 to the registration authority by which the vehicle was registered/ transferred earlier in a Rs. 3/- Non Judicial Court Fee Stamp.
- Form 29, Form 30, and Form 28.
For Transfer of ownership- In case of purchase of a vehicle at a Public Auction
- Form 32
- Certificate authorized/duly signed by the Auction authority confirming the sale of the vehicle in the auction, in buyer’s favor.
- Additional Documents to be enclosed:
- Certificate of Registration (RC)
- Certificate of Insurance
- Certificate of Pollution Control
- Aadhar Card
- PAN Card (in case of 4 wheeler)
- Passport size photograph
- Tax receipt
- Proof of Address(Anyone): Ration Card/Electoral Roll/ LIC Policy
- 2 Photographs of the applicant with vehicle clearly showing the number plate.
- Pencil traced Chassis Number
THE PROCEDURE INCLUDES 2 WAYS TO TRANSFER THE OWNERSHIP
- Apply in Person
- The applicant needs to approach the RTO office which comes under your area.
- Click on the “Office Locations & Contacts” section on the following website to get details of the RTO office.
- Make sure to fill out the following forms according to your case:
- In case of sale of vehicle: Form 29, Form 30, Form 28.
- In case of death of vehicle owner: Form 31
- In case of the public auction: Form 32
- Application forms can be downloaded using the following link from the Parivahan website: https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan//en/content/all-forms
- Application forms can also be obtained from the appropriate RTO office.
- Cross-check all the necessary documents and check your eligibility.
- Fill out the application form from one of the counters and pay the required fee (http://rtogujarat.gov.in/fee_registration.php).
- Authorities closely inspect the vehicle and the chassis number, further to which, they process the application if all the documents are in place.
- Apply Online
- Click on this link to enter the online portal: https://vahan.parivahan.gov.in/vahanservice/vahan/ui/statevalidation/homepage.xhtml
- Enter the registration number and click on “PROCEED”
- Click on “Misc (TO/CoA/HPA/HPC/HPT/DupRC)” and it will take you to a new window.
- Enter the Chassis number.
- Fill in the required details and upload documents to process the online application.
Check the accurate documents from the above list and send them along with this application to the concerned RTO. Physically handing over the document is also possible, for which you will need to book an appointment with the RTO.
How to book an appointment:
- Click on the following link: https://vahan.parivahan.gov.in/vahanservice/vahan/ui/statevalidation/homepage.xhtmlEnter the registration number as prompted and “PROCEED” Select “BOOK APPOINTMENT” Enter your Application Number and select “get user details” With this, you can proceed to book your slots on the available date and time.
- For a non-transport vehicle, the Certificate of Registration (RC) is valid for 15 years from the date of first registration, and it is renewed subsequently after every 5 years.
- In the case of transport vehicles (goods and passenger carriers), the Certificate of Registration (RC) is valid till the certificate of fitness is valid.
The time limit for service to be delivered: 30 working days from the date of submission of the documents.
|Location||RTO Code||Location||RTO Code|
|Kuch Bhuj||GJ-12||Aravalli Modasa||GJ-33|
IMPORTANT LOCATION AND CONTACT DETAILS
Commissioner of Transport office
Block-6, Second floor, Dr. Jivraj Mehta Bhavan,
Gandhinagar – 382010, Gujarat.
Office Telephone Number: 079 – 23251363
Fax Number: 079 – 23251362
Email ID : email@example.com
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQs)
You can check the ownership transfer status online on the Parivahan Website.
The owner need not be physically present at the RTO for the process, however, he/she needs to give a letter of authority to the concerned person. In case the owner is dead, the legal heir must give his/her authorization to the concerned person along with the affidavit accepting the transfer of ownership of the vehicle.
Yes, vehicle ownership can be transferred after the owner’s demise however you will be requiring certain additional documents like form 31, a legal heir certificate, and an affidavit from the heir accepting the transfer of a vehicle.
PAN Card is an important document required only when the transfer of ownership is for a 4-wheeler vehicle. However, it is not required for a 2 wheeler ownership transfer.
The process to Transfer Ownership of a Vehicle in India