Before going into the complete Step-by-Step procedure to get NOC from RTO we need to understand what actually NOC is and why is it required ?
What is a No Objection Certificate (NOC)?
No Objection Certificate which is also called NOC is only required when you are shifting from one state to another for a long period of time. We have seen that people often do not paid attention to get NOC but it is mandatory if you are going to new state or union territory for more than 3 Months.
NOC is a legal document issued from the regional RTO office for re-registration of a vehicle from one state to another to certify that there are no dues of tax on the vehicle.
When is NOC for Vehicle Required?
According to Motor Vehicles Act 1988, it is compulsory to get NOC from the RTO office of vehicle registration during any of the one circumstances:
During a transfer of ownership
Transfer of ownership is possible when there is vehicle sale/purchase or during vehicle owner’s demise and the last is during auction of the vehicle.
During vehicle re-registration
Vehicle re-registration follows a transfer from one RTO to another when moving from one state to another state or one Union Territory to another
How to Apply for NOC for Vehicle?
To Apply for NOC for Vehicle during a transfer of ownership or vehicle re-registration you have to follow the steps below :-
- You have to visit the local RTO and submit the application for the NOC.
- CMV form 28 completely filled with all the details along with the documents required by the RTO
- Vehicle owner is required to visit the local RTO in person to submit the application for the NOC.
- To get the NOC for your vehicle you need to pay processing fees according to Rule 81 of the CMV (Central Motor Vehicle) Rules 1989. and the charges if applicable on your vehicle.
- If there is no charges or DSA cases on your vehicle RTO will issue the NOC is 3 working days
Documents Required to get NOC:
Below are the list of documents required to get NOC:-
- Vehicle’s original Registration Certificate (RC)
- Valid Insurance Policy document
- Permit and fitness certificate in case of commercial vehicles
- Pollution Under Control (PUC) certificate
- Consent of Financier on CMV Form 28 in case the concerned vehicle is covered by Hypothecation or a lease agreement
- Pencil print of the chassis number for the CMV 28 form
- Photo identity and address proof
Note :- You need to submit xerox copy of the documents and also do carry the original if asked you need to show to the authorities for the same.
Also Read :- RTO Vehicle Registration Codes of States in India
NOC validity is for a maximum of 6 months make sure to re-register the vehicle to your new jurisdictional RTO within this span when moving a vehicle from one state to another.
Road tax refund process
You are also allowed to get refund of the road tax that you have paid during the purchase. The deadline to apply for refund varies in each state and it can be initiated as soon as you move to another state or union territory with the NOC. Only the original or the first owner of the vehicle is allowed to apply for a refund.
How to get NOC for Vehicle Online ?
No Objection Certificate (NOC) is now possible via online medium also at ‘Parivahan’ webiste which is under the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.
Follow the steps to get NOC online
- Go to the online portal ‘Parivahan’ https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/
- Under the Online Service tab select vehicle related services
- Select the state or union territory from where your vehicle is and fill in your vehicle’s registration number and click on ‘Proceed’.
- The page will redirected to choose ‘Application for No Objection Certificate’ from the options.
- You will be asked to enter the last five digits of your vehicle’s chassis number on the next page.
- Next, complete the documents by filling all the details asked for and upload the essential documents that are required to complete the process.
- Now, pay the fees as applicable for your concerned RTO.
Note: Don’t forget to save the application form as well as acknowledgement receipt so generated, as you will be required to submit the application form along with the acknowledgement slip and required documents in-person to your concerned RTO.
FAQs about NOC for Vehicle
The fees applicable in your respective RTO as per Rule 81 of CMV Rules 1989. Usually, the fees payable for such certification remains around Rs. 100.
If the span is less than 3 months then no NOC is required