Traffic affects us all, directly or indirectly. Students are taught lessons on traffic protocols, laws relating to it, safety on the road. Traffic light signals, Zebra-crossing, when to cross the road, everything is included in their schooling years. By the time they are eligible to drive on their own, they are aware of the basic safety and traffic laws. But a person needs to be updated with the latest amendments that take place in the safety laws.
If a person is found breaking the traffic rules & regulations, a challan is issued against the name of the vehicle driver. A challan is a document released in the name of the driver who breaks the traffic rules and a penalty is imposed upon him as a result of breaking the law. This penalty is dependent on the type of violation per the Motor Vehicles Act. With the increasing number of road accidents, challan helps the traffic police to better ensure the implementation of the traffic rules. If this challan is generated through the Electronic Challan System is called an E-Challan. E-Challan is are a great initiative to ensure better transparency and improved services.
What is E-Challan?
Jharkhand traffic police have designed the e-challan system to improve the traffic management in the state or effective implementation of traffic rules and regulations. Under this system, violators can pay their challan from the ease of their homes. No need to stand in long queues anymore. Users can visit the Jharkhand traffic police website, to avail themselves of the online services. This website is designed to assist the public and to ensure better safety standards are maintained by the public on the road.
Key features of E- Challan include:
- Statistical reports containing the information about the traffic violation.
- A secured payment gateway to submit the penalty online.
- Downloadable challan records.
- Instant messaging through SMS about the challan information.
- Online tracking of a violation.
- Cashless payment is available for challan submission.
Also Read : How to get Vehicle Fitness Certificate Online?
How does it work?
If you are caught violating the traffic laws in Jharkhand such as driving without a helmet or a seat belt, jumping traffic lights, speeding above the limit, then you are liable to pay the fine. The authority to capture the image of the violators has been given to the traffic police in Jharkhand. The complete data about the violation and the details of the owner are sent to the management. The management sends the E-Challan to the violator via SMS. This SMS contains complete details of the challan.
How can I check the status of my E-Challan?
- Visit the website: https://echallan.parivahan.gov.in/
- On the homepage, click ‘Check Challan Status’
- A new page will open up, where you need to enter either your Driving License Number or Vehicle Number.
- ‘’No challan found’ dialogue may appear if no fine or E-Challan is against you.
- If there is a pending fine against your name, then the details about the challan will be shown on a new page.
How to pay the E-Challan online?
- Visit the website: https://echallan.parivahan.gov.in/index/accused-challan
- Enter any of these: 1.E-Challan Number, 2. Driving License Number, 3. Vehicle Number.
- Enter the Captcha code and click ‘Get Detail ’
- The new page will show you the details about the E-Challan.
- Under the payment column, click on ‘Pay Now.
- Choose the payment mode: Can be net banking, debit card, or a credit card.
- A confirmation message is sent to the registered mobile number when payment is received.
Traffic fines in Jharkhand
|Traffic signal violation||Rs. 150-500|
|Driving in a restricted area||Rs. 150-500|
|Dangerous parking||Rs. 150-500|
|Blowing Horn Unnecessarily||Rs. 2000|
|Dangerously overtaking||Rs. 150-500|
|The unlawful seizing of a vehicle||Rs. 5000|
|Without insurance driving||Rs.2000-4000|
|Driving without PUC||Rs.2000|
|Driving an unregistered vehicle||Rs. 2000-4000|
|Use of vehicle without a permit||Rs.10,000|
|Overloading a commercial vehicle||Rs.20,000 -1 lakh|
|Carrying extra passengers||Rs.200- 1000|
|Not using a helmet or safety belt||Rs.1000|
|Stopping the way of an emergency vehicle||Rs. 10,000|
|Driving a tinted glass vehicle||Rs. 1000-2000|
No, the traffic laws remain the same in the whole state, and do not vary from city to city.
Yes, Jharkhand Traffic Police has an official E-Challan app. This app can be used to check the details as well as payment for the E-Challans.
Yes, you can visit your nearest police station and pay the fine. Before paying let the officer know the details of the E-Challan.