Located on the west coast of India, Gujarat was formed in 1960. The state capital is Gandhinagar, and major cities include Vadodara, Ahmedabad, Surat, Rajkot, Jamnagar, etc. According to the census 2011, the population of the state stands at 60,383,628. With this increase in population figures, the state government has adopted various measures to ensure traffic management is properly managed.
With the introduction of the Motor Vehicles Act,2019, the union government has hiked the fines considerably for various traffic penalties in the country. However, the state government of Gujarat has lowered the fines anywhere from 25% to 90% in tune with the type of offense committed.
Fines and Penalties in Gujarat:
|Traffic Violations||Fines imposed by the State Government|
|Riding without a helmet on a two-wheeler||Rs. 500|
|Riding without a seatbelt on a four-wheeler||Rs. 500|
|Overloading on a two-wheeler||Rs. 100|
|Talking on the phone and driving.||Rs. 500 for the first offense. Rs.100 for the second.|
|Driving without a license||Rs. 2000 for 2-wheelers. Rs. 3000 for 4-wheelers.|
|Driving unregistered vehicles||Rs. 1000 for 2-wheelers. Rs. 3000 for 4-wheelers. Rs.5000 for bigger vehicles.|
|Blocking the way of emergency vehicles.||Rs. 1000|
|Not possessing PUC Certificates||Rs. 1000 for 2-wheelers. Rs.3000 for other vehicles.|
|Driving wrong way||Rs.3000 for light motor vehicles. Rs.5000 for bigger vehicles.|
|Driving under influence||Rs. 10,000 and/or 6 months jail time for the first offense. Rs.15,000 and/or 2 years jail time for a subsequent offense.|
|A registered vehicle was driven by a minor.||Rs. 25,000 along with 3 years of imprisonment.|
|Jumping the traffic lights||Fines range from Rs.1,000 to Rs.5,000 and/or jail time from 6 months to a year.|
Also Read : How to get Vehicle Fitness Certificate Online?
How to check the status of your E-Challan in Gujarat?
There are two methods by which the status of the challan can be checked:
Using Parivahan Website:
- Visit: https://echallan.parivahan.gov.in/
- Click ‘ Check Challan Status’
- Now a new page will open up, enter your DL Number or vehicle number here.
- If no fine is against you, the ‘Challan not found’ dialog will be shown.
- In the case of a pending fine, all details of the challan will be displayed on the page.
Using E-Challan App:
- Install the app. Can be found on google play store or Apple app store.
- Now enter the vehicle number and click on ‘Get details.
- You will now be displayed your paid and unpaid bills.
How to pay the E-challan?
With the state government constantly putting efforts to align its citizens with the Motor Vehicle Act to ensure fewer accidents take place, and imposing fines through electronic challan has become the new norm. The foremost benefit of E-Challan is, there is no need to stand in long queues to pay your fine anymore. You can pay these challans from the ease of your home. An online payment option is available.
Paying using the Parivahan website:
- Visit the website: https://echallan.parivahan.gov.in/index/accused-challan
- You need to enter the Gujarat RTO Challan Number or your Vehicle, or DL Number.
- Enter the Captcha code and click on ‘Get Details’.
- Check the details of your E-Challan, verify it, and then proceed with the payment option.
- Payment can be done by net banking, debit card, and credit card.
- Take the copy of the RTO Challan to the police station nearby.
- You need to contact the person responsible for the collection of E-challan.
- Pay the fine in cash.
- You can also request the officer to check for any pending fines.
Traffic rules in Gujarat:
Some of the important rules that a driver must adhere to are:
- Driving with proper documents issued by RTO. This includes a driving license and a vehicle registration certificate.
- Possessing the Pollution Under Control (PUC) certificate is a must.
- Driving a vehicle on a designated lane and following the speed limits
- Not driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Driving a vehicle that is insured by a third party.
|Location||RTO Code||Location||RTO Code|
|Kuch Bhuj||GJ-12||Aravalli Modasa||GJ-33|
Yes, there exists an app on the play store. It’s a web application and you can check your traffic challans for multiple vehicles. You can also pay your dues easily just by entering your vehicle number.
There exists a grace period of 60 days, a person should pay the fine under this period. In case, it is not paid during this period, the case is forwarded to the court.
It is unlikely to get penalized for a wrong challan. However, if by mistake this happens, then a person can report the matter to Gujarat Traffic Police either by writing to them or by calling them on their helpline number.