Driving is a process that makes you responsible, independent, as well as thoughtful. It is not only a skill which anyone should acquire in this fast moving world, but a necessity when it comes to completing your routine tasks that are depended solely on the one who knows how to drive. Driving boosts your confidence to a next level as now you are not relying on someone else for small chores of life. But, what if you learned how to drive but lack a Driving License, which is necessary for driving even to your nearest coffee shop or market?
Well, for that you need to visit your closest RTO office and apply for a Driving license or you can do all the necessary formalities online and just give the test offline. The choice is yours, but I am going to tell you in detail about both of these processes online and offline applying of Driving License. Let’s start with the offline process first.
TYPES OF DRIVING LICENSE IN DELHI
- Driving License for Motor vehicles that are gearless: The DL obtained for this is for vehicles that do not have gears.
- Driving License for Light Motor Vehicles: The DL obtained for this is for vehicles that have gears or are private motor vehicles.
- Driving License for Transport Vehicles: The DL obtained for this is for heavy motor vehicles that transport goods, used for commercial purposes or used to transport passengers.
Also Read: Driving Licence fees in Delhi
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR DRIVING LICENSE IN DELHI
- The minimum required age for Driving License is 18 years of age.
- There should be a Learner’s License with the applicant.
- Applicant will be able to apply for the Driving License (Permanent) after 30 days or within 180 days of obtaining a Learner’s License.
- If applying for Heavy goods or Commercial Vehicle, the applicant should be of 20 years of age.
- The applicant must be aware of traffic rules and regulations.
Also Read : How to Apply Learning License in Delhi?
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR DRIVING LICENSE
- Form number 4
- Form number 5 (If applying for Commercial Driving)
- Self-attested photos (3 passport sized photos for Driving License)
- Proof of Address (Voters ID/Ration Card/Aadhar Card/LIC Policy/Valid Passport)
- Age Proof (Birth Certificate/Education Certificate/Valid Passport/Pan card)
- Original Learner’s License
APPLYING OFFLINE FOR DRIVING LICENSE
- Visit your nearest RTO Office and get an application form for Driving License.
- The exact same form can be downloaded and printed from the website.
- The form needs your following details such as: Your Full Name, Father’s Name, Permanent Address, Date of Birth, Blood Group, Place of Birth, Educational Qualification, Identification Mark.
- Submit all the necessary documents mentioned above like Age Proof, Address Proof, Passport-sized photographs, etc.
- You will be given a slot for your first round of test in RTO Office. The test will be conducted online.
- After you clear the test, the Learner’s License will be issued to you.
- A Permanent Driving License will be handed over to you, after minimum 30 days and maximum 180 days after obtaining Learner’s License.
APPLYING ONLINE FOR DRIVING LICENSE:
- Visit the website www.transport.delhi.gov.in to download and print the application form.
- Submit the form correctly filled in your nearest RTO office.
- Submit all the necessary documents with the form.
- After that, you will be allotted a slot for the driving test.
- After clearing the test, the Learner’s License will be issued to you within 30 days.
- You will be issued a Permanent Driving License after minimum 30 days and maximum 180 days.
CHECKING STATUS OF DRIVING LICENSE:
- Visit the website https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/
- Click on “Online Services”
- Click on the option “Driving License Related Services”
- Select the State you applied your DL in.
- On the redirected page, select “Apply Online”
- Select “Application Status”
- Enter your Application number, Date of Birth and captcha correctly.
- Click on “Submit”
- You will get updated status of your Driving License.
Also Read : Process to Transfer Ownership of Vehicle in Delhi
APPLYING FOR INTERNATIONAL DRIVING LICENSE IN DELHI:
- Visit your nearest RTO Office.
- Fill the forms and attach the necessary documents along with it.
- The International Driving License can be issued only to a Permanent Driving License holder with a valid passport.
- Pay fees of Rs.1000 and processing fees of Rs.200
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR INTERNATIONAL DRIVING LICENSE:
- Valid Driving License and its copies
- 3 passport sized photographs
- Valid proof like Passport and its copies
- Proof of Visa and its copies
- Copy of Air Ticket for verification
- Form 4A
- Form 1A
- Payment of application fees and its receipt
APPLYING FOR DUPLICATE DRIVING LICENSE IN DELHI:
- Visit your nearest RTO Office.
- Submit duly filled LLD Form.
- Attach all the required documents.
- Submit fees of Rs.200 for Duplicate Driving License.
- Once the documents get verified, the Duplicate Driving License will be issued.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR DUPLICATE DRIVING LICENSE:
- Application form for LLD.
- Copy of FIR, if the Driving License is stolen.
- Challan Clearance Report provided by Traffic police (Commercial Driving License)
- Form 1
- Copy of Age proof
- Copy of Address proof
- Copy of Original License
- License Number, in case of a stolen License
- Attested copies of all the documents by a Gazetted officer or notary public.
DRIVING TEST PROCEDURE:
The Driving Test will be scheduled once you submit all the necessary documents required to be submitted for the License. Then, you will have to reach the RTO Office at the given time and date and give the test. It is an online test comprising of 20 questions and you are required to score at least 12/20 to clear the test. If you clear the test you will be issued with a Learner’s License first and after that you will be issued a Permanent Driving License after some stipulated time.
Delhi RTO Locations
|RTO LOCATIONS||RTO CODE|
|Mall Road Delhi North||DL 01|
|Tilak Marg New Delhi||DL 02|
|Sheikh Sarai South Delhi South||DL 03|
|West Janakpuri West Delhi West||DL04|
|Loni Road North East Delhi||DL05|
|Sarai Kale Khan Central Delhi||DL06|
|Mayur Vihar East Delhi||DL07|
|Wazir Pur North West Delhi||DL08|
|Janakpuri South West Delhi||DL09|
|Rohini North West Delhi||DL11|
|Vasant Vihar South West Delhi||DL12|
|Surajmal Vihar Delhi||DL13|
Frequently Asked Questions
Driving License is valid for 5 years. It was valid for 20 years before but now the validation years have been changed.
No, you will be issued an International Driving License only after you give copy of your Permanent Driving License.
Yes, you can reschedule the Driving License Test and choose your desired slot.
Yes, you have to give the fees of Rs.200, if applying for a Duplicate Driving License.